Dans la cuisine: Chickpea Cutlets

It's been a while since I posted a recipe. Fear not, I have in fact been eating but I've just been too preoccupied to take  a picture before it's all in my belly.

Now, these cutlets, if you're allergic to gluten, then this is not for you. If you're not, then carry on. I made these way back when Soner and I were still just newly dating. He was coming over for dinner and I wanted to impress... so I made cutlets? what the?? Anyways, it worked. This is one of his favorite meals yet.


Chickpea Cutlets

DSC_0604


What you'll need:

1 cup cooked chickpeas
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/4 vegetable broth
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 cloved of garlic, grated
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 hungarian paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
Olive oil for panfrying.

*Don't let the list of ingredients deter you from trying out this recipe. 
Some of the spices can be substituted for anything you can find in your pantry.



DSC_0608

What you do:

In a mixing bowl, mash the chickpeas together with the oil until no whole chickpeas are left.
Add the remaining ingredients and knead for about 3 minutes, until he mixture becomes stringy.

Preheat a large heavy-bottomed non-stick  or cast iron skillet over medium heat. 
Divide cutlet dough into four equal pieces. I usually just ball it up, then flatten it out while pulling on all ends to make a sort of patty shape.
Add a thin layer of olive oil to the pan. PLeace the cutlets in the pan and cook on each sde for 6-7 minutes until brownish gold. 
If you don't want to fry these, you can also bake them. Preheat oven to 375F, lightly oil a baking sheet.
Brush both sides of patty with olive oil and place on sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for another 8-10 minutes.

I usually serve these with a side of rice, and some sauteed kale.


sig5